! IMPORTANT: The following user manual applies to:
- MD Visitor Tracker & Greeter version 2.0.0
- MD Visitor Tracker & Greeter (Bulb) version 2.0.0
- MD Visitor Tracker & Greeter (Notepad) version 2.0.0
- MD Visitor Tracker Board & Greeter version 2.0.0
When some of the features are available only for a specific version, will be clearly stated.
Chapter #1: initial setup
The setup of MD Visitor Tracker is very easy and quick: owner will have to simply rez the tracker in-world and wait a few seconds for the automatic setup to complete.
Once done, when the owner clicks on the tracker, a dialog menu will appear, called “owner menu”: this dialog is visible only by the owner and allow to enter the visitor tracker’s settings.
The basic setup for the visitor tracker is now done, but some additional steps are required.
Chapter #2: owner menu
When the owner clicks the visitor tracker, the configuration menu is displayed. This particular menu – accessible by the owner only – contains all the settings and options of the tracker.
This menu is divided in many section, some of them leading into other sub menus:
- Active: this button turns the tracker on/off, enabling or disabling the scan of the area specified.
- Report: if enable, this option make the tracker send a daily IM to the owner, containing the visitors list for the current day.
- Notify: if enable, this option will send an IM to the owner every time a new visitor is found.
- Options: this sub menu groups together some advanced features, such as the greeter & giver module, scan time and scan range configuration, hover text and more. The detail of each features will be explained in the options chapter.
- Appearance: this sub menu interact with the appearance of the visitor tracker, prodiving serveral options. These features will be described in details in the appearance section of this user guide. Please note: different features in the appearance menu are available with different versions of MD Visitor Tracker, as will be described.
- List Visitors: this button will list to the owner the daily visitors list, with date & time.
- Online Services: opens the MD Labs Online Services website, where the owner can interact with all the trackers. Details about this feauture can be found in the corresponding chapter.
- Update: this button starts the update module, which will look online for a new update of the product and – if found – deliver it to the owner.
- Reset: this button will reset the visitor tracker, wiping all the data, including options and visitor list.
Chapter #3: basic usage
The basic usage of the MD Visitor Tracker is very simple: once rezzed it’s immediately ready to work and clicking on the ‘Active’ button will start the scan of the area for visitors. By default, the tracker will work with these settings, that can be customized anytime:
- scan time: 45 seconds. This value can be changed through the ‘Options’ menu, more details in the corresponding chapter.
- scan range: 20 meters. This value can be changed through the ‘Options’ menu, more details in the corresponding chapter.
- timezone: UTC. This value can be changed through the MD Labs Online Services website, more details in the corresponding chapter.
With these values, the tracker will scan every 45 seconds an area of 20 meters; if new avatars are found, an IM will be sent to the owner, reporting the name of the visitor and the visit date-time, in UTC format. Also, every 24 hours from the tracker’s activation the daily visitors list will be sent to the owner as IM.
Please note: by default, no greet message nor item (landmark, notecard, object) is sent to the visitors. You can change this behavior through the corresponding features in the ‘Options’ sub menu.
Chapter #4: options
In the option sub menu is possible to find some additional features aimed to enrich the experience with the visitor tracker.
- Greeter: through this button the owner can enable the greeter module for MD Visitor Tracker; the owner will be asked to provide a text message that will be sent to each avatar found. Once the feature is active, clicking on the greeter button again will disable it.
- Giver: through this button the giver module of MD Visitor Tracker can be configured; by clicking, the owner will be prompted to a submenu where will be asked to choose which type of item give to each new visitor found. There are 3 main item’s type that can be chosen: landmark, notecard, object; the owner can choose one or multiple types of items. Please note: to activate this feature, one item of the chosen type must be present into the MD Visitor Tracker’s content.
- Visible: this option toggle the tracker’s visibility. Please note: this option is available only for
- MD Visitor Tracker & Greeter
- MD Visitor Tracker & Greeter (Notepad)
- Hover Text: through this option the owner can set a custom text to be displayed on the MD Visitor Tracker as hover text; after clicking, the owner will be asked to submit a valid text. Once the hover text is set, clicking on the button again will disable it.
- Scantime: scan time represents how often the tracker will scan around for new visitors; by default this value is set to 45 seconds, this means MD Visitor Tracker will perform a scan of the area every 45 seconds. This value can be changed through this button: the owner will be asked to provide the new scan time value, submitting a value between 5 and 900 seconds.
- Scanrange: scan range represents how far the tracker will scan for new visitors; by default this value is set to 20 meters, this means MD Visitor Tracker will perform a scan of a 20 meters wide area. This value can be changed through this button: the owner will be asked to provide a new value for scan range: any value between 1 and 96 meters is valid; by submitting ‘0’ (zero), the owner will enable the parcel-wide scan.
- Show Range: once enabled, this option will show the scan range as a semi-transparent sphere around the MD Visitor Tracker; this is useful to get a visual idea of the area under the tracker’s control.
Chapter #5: appearance
This sub menu groups together all the features aimed to change the MD Visitor Tracker’s appearance.
Please note: depending on the version of MD Visitor Tracker, different options will be available inside this menu.
- Hover Text Color: through this button the owner can change the color for the hover text, if displayed.
- Text Color: through this button the owner can change the color for the board’s main face. Please note: this setting is available ONLY for MD Visitor Tracker Board.
- Show Logo: through this button the owner can show/hide the logo space on the tracker board. Please note: this setting is available ONLY for MD Visitor Tracker Board.
Chapter #6: MD Labs Online Services
MD Labs Online Services is a responsive website, accessible from any platform from mobile devices to desktop computers, which allow to interact with the products released by MD Labs. Here’s a quick overview of what the the MD Visitor Tracker owner will be able to do:
- Get a quick overview of all the trackers, with locations where they are rezzed, total number of visit;
- View detailed graphs by tracker, date (day/month/year) , region or by visitor;
- Change tracker’s default timezone from here;
- Rename a specific tracker;
- Delete all data about a specific tracker;
- See the visitors list for any tracker, including visitor name and visit date-time;
- Archive unused trackers;
- Delete a specific visit from a tracker;
Chapter #6.1: Register an account and activate the product
Before accessing the website for the first time, the owner must register an account and activate the service. In order to do so, an Online Services HUD is provided inside the MD Visitor Tracker pack.
Once attached the HUD, there are 2 simple steps to follow:
- Click on the user icon of the HUD, and type a password for the Online Services login.
- Click on the check icon to activate the MD Visitor Tracker for the Online Services.
At this point it’s possible to open the MD Labs Online Services website and simply log in.
Chapter #6.2: MD Visitors Tracker homepage
Once logged in the MD Labs Online Services website, it is possible to access the MD Visitors Tracker section from the ‘Products’ dropdown list on the top of the page. The page that will load is the MD Visitors Tracker homepage and will look similar to this one:
The webpage is divided into 2 different tabs (right under the top bar), each one containing specific features:
- My Trackers: it’s the main tab, from here is possible to access the store’s data as well as to a list of all rezzed trackers and the detailed visitors list of each of them.
- Archived: this tab lists all the archived trackers, the ones that are not used and/or not rezzed anymore in-world. Archiving the trackers help keeping data sorted and consistent.
The first element in the homepage is the graph panel: the data represented here will vary based on the current view selected. The default view is “by tracker” and the graph will show a pie chart with all the trackers and their total visit counted.
The Tools panels groups together some useful tools to analyze and manipulate the tracker’s data. The most important tool of this section is the ‘view‘ drop down list which allow to group, sort and view the data in several ways:
- by tracker: this is the default view, useful to analyze the number of visitors counted by each tracker;
- by region: through this view is possible to analyze which regions generate the most traffic;
- by day: this view is useful to analyze the daily visitors counted by the trackers;
- by month: this view is useful to analyze the monthly visitors counted by the trackers;
- by year: this view is useful to analyze the yearly visitors counted by the trackers;
- by visitor: through this view is possible to analyze the visits from each visitor;
Other useful tools are the ‘delete selected‘ button, which allow the deletion of multiple trackers at once, and the ‘export‘ button, which allow to export the data from the current view.
Chapter #6.3: Basic operations
When the data view is set to ‘by tracker‘ some basic operations will be accessible, to perform over every tracker listed. These operations are:
- Turn on/off: this switch toggles the tracker’s status in-world between on and off.
- Calculate profit: this toggle enables or disables the integration of MD Visitors Tracker with MD Vendor System – the vendor solution from MD Labs. When this option is enabled, if MD Visitors Tracker is used along with MD Vendor System in the same area (i.e. an in-world store), then the tracker will calculate the amount in L$ earned from each visitor through the vendors running MD Vendor System. PLEASE NOTE: this option appears only if MD Vendor System is regularly purchased.
- Quick Peek: this feature allows the user to retrieve a list of the visitors currently present in the tracker’s area. As the name of this feature says, it is a quick peek of what is going on in-world, without actually needing to be logged in.
Chapter #6.4: Additional operations
While the data view is set to ‘by tracker‘, is possible to perform some additional operations to the trackers; all these features are accessible by clicking the 3-dot icon (…) on the right of the tracker’s list. A drop down window will appear with the following options:
- Rename: rename the corresponding tracker in-world and on MD Labs Online Services;
- Reset: reset the corresponding tracker in-world;
- Merge: merge the corresponding tracker with another one, associating all the visitors to the new tracker and removing the old one from in-world and from MD Labs Online Services;
- Archive: archive the corresponding tracker, removing it from in-world (if present);
- Delete all visits: delete the complete tracker’s visitors list;
- Delete: delete the corresponding tracker in-world and from MD Labs Online Services, removing also all the visitors list and settings;
Chapter #6.5: Tracker’s details: visitors list
As said in the previous chapters, depending on the data view chosen it will be possible to view and analyze different kind of data; the most important is the data view ‘by tracker‘, which is also the default one. When this data view is selected, a list of all trackers rezzed is presented along with the region and total visitors for each tracker. By clicking on the tracker’s name the details page for that specific item will load, and will look like this one:
The first part of the page contains an useful graph showing the daily visitors for the selected tracker; below this graph two other panels are present, containing the tools and the visitors list.
The ‘tools‘ panels provides some useful instruments to filter, manage and analyze the tracker’s data; it is possible in fact to filter and see only the visits made during a specific period, delete multiple visits at the same time and export the visitors list.
The visits panel is the main panel of this page and presents a complete list of all the visitors tracked; for each visit the following data is displayed:
- Visitor’s name;
- Visit date & time;
- Visit duration;