MD Visitors Tracker – old versions retirement & data retention policy change
Hi everyone! Following the release of version 3 for my MD Visitors Tracker, I am going to retire some very old version of the product.
Below, you will find all the necessary info:
- Which products are going to be retired?
- MD Visitors Tracker
- MD Visitors Tracker (Notepad)
- MD Visitors Tracker (Bulb)
- MD Visitors Tracker Board
- Which versions of the above products are going to be retired?
- version 0.6.0, released on 2014-09-24
- version 0.8.0, released on 2014-10-24
- version 1.0.0, released on 2015-04-11
- version 1.1.x, released on 2015-07-29
- version 1.2.x, released on 2015-12-23
- When this will happen? the old versions retirement will start on October 28th, 2019
- Why are you doing this? the versions listed above are old: they still run on the old server and use ‘old’ code, which relies on obsolete technology. For this reason and in order to keep improving the quality of my work, I cannot afford anymore to maintain the back-compatibility with those versions using such an old technology.
- What will happen from the retirement day?
- all the trackers – new and existing – running one of the above versions will stop communicating with the server.
- all the tracker’s feature relying on the server will stop working;
- no data will be stored on the server anymore, so new trackers and new visits will not be shown on MD Labs Online Services website;
- it will be impossible to interact with the trackers through the MD Labs Online Services website;
- What should I do to avoid all this? Simple: update your trackers. For doing this you will need the updated version of the script; you can receive the updated version simply clicking on the “update” button from one of your trackers (owner menu>update) or through the redelivery terminal at MD Labs in-world store. Once obtained the updated version, simply replace the tracker; and yes, the replace has to be done manually.
IMPORTANT, PLEASE KEEP READING: In addition to the retirement of the old versions, I am going to change the data retention policy for all the MD Visitors Tracker: right now all data regarding every visit of every tracker is stored on the server and the data is kept for 2 years. This means, if you access your MD Labs Online Services website you will be able to see – for each of your tracker – the visits stored and made up to 2 years ago. Even though this can be useful at times, I am now serving more than 15 millions visits and I realized the benefits from keeping such a huge amount of data stored are becoming less than the impact that the data has on the server’s performances. For this reason, starting from Sunday, October 27th I will reduce the data kept on the server from 2 years to 1 year. This means you will only be able to see the visit that occurred up to 1 year ago. The older data will be removed from the server and this will hopefully result in a performance increment. If you are interested in keeping your data, I invite you to login the MD Labs Online Services website and export it; lastly, please note this will impact only the visits stored and will NOT change your tracker’s overall visit statistics.
Once the older versions will be retired I will NOT offer support anymore for those devices, so please update in time to avoid any issues.
Please contact me in-world if you need any help before the retirement day.